It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 pm
Posts: 8771
Location: yellow and pink
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
I'll be picking this up next time I'm at the bookstore.


tell me what you think when you finish it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: timid deer lane
LONDON wrote:
Jennie C wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good book on non-Western history or possibly on one non-Western region, that provides a good sweep of historical periods? (Kind of like an all-in-one)

Thanks.


theirs a lot of Cheik Anta Diop books that don't come from a western or eurocentric point of view looking at history


BING


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steve Biko Book Club
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: timid deer lane
Asphyx wrote:
Up a book of non-fiction that might make whoever reads it smarter.

Aleister Crowley - The Book of the Law (first an intro, then the link)
This is a book that is ג€˜Biblicalג€™. Not in length- in fact it may be one of the shortest Holy books ever written in any faith. But in scope? Sure. Reams have been written, and will yet be written about how it was received/composed/created by Crowley; what he had for breakfast that morning and what colour socks he was wearing, and most of that is fascinating, if only for the diligence of researchers, the beauty of the philosophical interpretations and the sheer entertainment value of some of the wilder theories. Plenty of all that can be found on the site where you downloaded this. But what of the book, and what the hell is that little red book actually FOR?

This is an epic book, an awesome book, and an awe-full book. The shortest epic ever written and bears an authorג€™s name to strike fear into the heart of every fundamentalist Christian you could meet. That alone makes it worthwhile, and worth carrying on your person at all times, to produce like a hand grenade when needed. But there is far, far more to the book.

A book that was written by an upper-class Victorian rebel about dialogues with ancient Egyptian Gods from millennia before, but which finds resonance in part with a diverse band of modern magicians, witches, anarchists, artists, poets and musicians; and yet a book that no-one seems to entirely agree with. Such was Crowley: not a ג€˜fluffyג€™ new-age teacher to give anyone an easy ride, and determined to force them to think for themselves. And think damned hard. Working with Uncle Aleister is like trying to arm-wrestle an octopus; there will always be something you canג€™t quite get a handle on, and just when you think youג€™ve found a way- the whole beast turns to smoke and eludes you, until next time.

The Book of the Law is approaching a hundred years old, and forecast the cataclysmic decline of modern civilisation, the onset of an age of force, fire and war, and the rise of Horus as the God-form of this world. Pretty good. And pretty fresh for nearly 100. It was also the catalyst for Crowleyג€™s own world vision of a religion based on scientific approaches and is highly individualistic - you do what THOU wilt, after all. And that IS the greatest of great works- finding what thou wilt, and doing it; regardless of the innumerable social moralities and personal foibles and excuses which will get in the way, time after time. Never easy, always a challenge and the great task of our times.


The rituals of the old time are black, as is all else from the past. Purge, purge, purge and arise into a new Aeon, carrying only what you truly need, leaving behind the dross of what has been before. The seeming honour to write this introduction to the new edition of a Holy book is an illusion, but the chance to work with Crowleyג€™s techniques and adapt them to mine own will (and you, yours) is something more than honour. Generations as yet unborn will know and learn to love this book, containing as it does one functional means for the ultimate liberation of the human spirit.

Did I say biblical? But not in the same enslaving way as that large tome tends to do: follow the Bible or Book of the Law by rote and youג€™re in deep trouble, but open your mind to the meaning behind the metaphor in Liber Al, and work with it and you are standing on the runway, waiting for the flight to the Stars. So take up the sword and the wand, and what a flight it is!

This intro needs to stop here; learning one lesson from Liber AL: keep it short and let the reader do the work themselves. Work, endure and succeed. Success is your proof!

http://www.occultebooks.com/books/bookoflaw.pdf



isthis the book, man?

http://www.thelema101.com/liber-al.html


Ive been reading it with little insight gained so far. What am I doing wrong? :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: timid deer lane
now almost done with "misquoting jesus: who changed the bible and why".


this book is essential!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Posts: 2213
just finished "The Terror" by Dan Simmons, it was a good book and actually a page turner for being so long, but what the fuck kind of ending is that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 am 
Offline
FUCK YOU REGGIEBIRD

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:22 pm
Posts: 12558
Just started reading 'What is the What'. I like it a lot thus far but I have a feeling I'm going to be weeping by the end of it.

Anyone here read it already?

_________________
hopps wrote:
i also think mindbender wastes way too much time on this message board. i think he should never come here again. seriously, man.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 1499
Location: timid deer lane
cultural imperialism by edward said. Im actually rereading it. but I didnt understand it the first time very well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:37 pm 
Offline
The Mayor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 am
Posts: 9509
Location: eighty duece on my shoulder
Image


DOPE BOOK[/quote]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:12 am
Posts: 7702
Location: Ohio.
last 3 books i've bought that are non-poker/gambling...

'acid dreams' by i forget who...g/f currently has it. basically details the beginning and growth of lsd..starts with the CIA experiments in the 1950's, and how it grew through the 60's and 70's. really interesting interviews and views on the mind-expanding experience. i've eaten acid once, didn't like it...that said, reading about hippies' experiences was really, really interesting to me..

8.5/10

'telling lies' by paul ekman...heavy-duty psychological look at liars, detecting deceit, and the essence of a lie. i really liked this too, though it's written a bit too 'wordy' for my liking...lots of historical references to lies, (churchill, hitler, etc.) and examples of experiments on people's reactions to lies...

one i liked was they took 10 psychologists, 10 nurses...the two were facing each other, and behind the psychologists, was a tv screen. the nurses were either watching a 'pretty scene', with flowers and cute animals romping around, or a gruesome, bloody surgery/tragedy...however, whatever they were watching, they had to describe a happy scene. the psychologists were supposed to determine whether or not they were lying w/o seeing the film behind them...

6/11 chapters highly informative/interesting, the rest were a bit to medical/technical for me..

8.5/10

'on killing' by i don't know/friend has it...haven't read this one yet, but it's on the psychological ability of humans to kill. studies done on soldiers, murderers, and 'normal' people. discusses the ability of a 'common person' to run a blade through someone's stomach if threatened...

reminded me that my friend borrowed this the exact day i bought it, and that was 3 weeks ago...need to grab that back.

the last gambling-type book was 'the smart money' by michael konik..talks about how the author was a runner for the most successful sports-betting syndicate in the world. his rise/fall in following his man's picks. getting banned from first LV casinos, and then off-shore books because he won too much...

again, highly entertaining if sports betting is your thing...

8.5/10

three 8.5/10's out of three...all very good.

i've been spending saturday afternoon's at borders w/my girl...we'll go get a coffee, and go our own ways, and then meet back to share our findings...i know that may make me sound old, but i think it's awesome...she's hipped me to a couple buddhism books, and i've found that i really like non-fiction psychology books...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:10 am
Posts: 2317
Location: Arlington, TX
Should we do an actual book club? As in as many dedicated readers as wish to, agree to buy a Biko related book and discuss it or would that be too gay?

_________________
Image

"I love california. the other day some bum was like "gimme a dollar, I SAID GIMME A DOLLA!!!!!" and I told him to sit down and shut the fuck up. and he did. cause real talk I will knock a bum the fuck out." --BeHemoth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
^ It would be pretty gay, but I'd participate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:34 am 
Offline
Voice of Reason
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:06 am
Posts: 12944
Location: Your girl's house
It would be gay if we were also making arrangements on who would be providing the refreshments during the discussion.

Since we're not doing that, I'm down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:18 am 
Offline
The Mayor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:08 am
Posts: 9509
Location: eighty duece on my shoulder
meh... i'm down...

:megaman:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:10 am
Posts: 2317
Location: Arlington, TX
Then count me in too, gay or not.

_________________
Image

"I love california. the other day some bum was like "gimme a dollar, I SAID GIMME A DOLLA!!!!!" and I told him to sit down and shut the fuck up. and he did. cause real talk I will knock a bum the fuck out." --BeHemoth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 pm 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Image

www.amazon.com wrote:
With this acclaimed work and its immortal query, "Who is John Galt?", Ayn Rand found the perfect artistic form to express her vision of existence. Atlas Shrugged made Rand not only one of the most popular novelists of the century, but one of its most influential thinkers.

Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit.

Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club


Image

www.amazon.com wrote:
The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence.


i did read your subsequent post about your understanding how she can be perceived as a bitch and how she is not open to other opinions than her own so you're not blind to those things but i just have to ask because it would give me a lot more insight into some of your reasoning/own opinions: are you a randian disciple?

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
^ I don't consider myself an Objectivist. However, I find myself agreeing with her on most things.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:21 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
^ I don't consider myself an Objectivist. However, I find myself agreeing with her on most things.


That's refreshing (pending the answer to the following question). What do you agree with her on? I'm not out to get you, just curious.

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
^ Have you read any Rand? If not, let me know and I'll up some. I think I have all of her non-fiction books (audio) kicking around on one of my HDs. Then we can talk.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
^ Have you read any Rand? If not, let me know and I'll up some. I think I have all of her non-fiction books (audio) kicking around on one of my HDs. Then we can talk.


actually i've read some rand. so i'm not talking out of my ass if that's what you were hoping to avoid before answering my question.

for me, i judge a person's philosophy off several things, here are a few main questions:

1) what events occurred to shape/spur the philosophy?
2) how did this person live her philosophy?
3) is this person's philosophy a checks&balances way of viewing a situation or an opinionated hyperbole of there being a certain "right" way to view every situation?

upload a non-fiction audio book though. i've read anthem, atlas shrugged, fountainhead, and the virtue of selfishness (only non-fiction of hers i've read)

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
^ Have you read any Rand? If not, let me know and I'll up some. I think I have all of her non-fiction books (audio) kicking around on one of my HDs. Then we can talk.


actually i've read some rand. so i'm not talking out of my ass if that's what you were hoping to avoid before answering my question.

for me, i judge a person's philosophy off several things, here are a few main questions:

1) what events occurred to shape/spur the philosophy?
2) how did this person live her philosophy?
3) is this person's philosophy a checks&balances way of viewing a situation or an opinionated hyperbole of there being a certain "right" way to view every situation?

upload a non-fiction audio book though. i've read anthem, atlas shrugged, fountainhead, and the virtue of selfishness (only non-fiction of hers i've read)


Well, there you go - I agree with more or less everything she wrote in Virtue of Selfishness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:57 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
^ Have you read any Rand? If not, let me know and I'll up some. I think I have all of her non-fiction books (audio) kicking around on one of my HDs. Then we can talk.


actually i've read some rand. so i'm not talking out of my ass if that's what you were hoping to avoid before answering my question.

for me, i judge a person's philosophy off several things, here are a few main questions:

1) what events occurred to shape/spur the philosophy?
2) how did this person live her philosophy?
3) is this person's philosophy a checks&balances way of viewing a situation or an opinionated hyperbole of there being a certain "right" way to view every situation?

upload a non-fiction audio book though. i've read anthem, atlas shrugged, fountainhead, and the virtue of selfishness (only non-fiction of hers i've read)


Well, there you go - I agree with more or less everything she wrote in Virtue of Selfishness.


doesn't it bother you taht she came to many of these conclusions not from some kind of true and guarded analysis of human motive and consequence but rather because the russian revolution usurped the huge estate on which she grew up with her rich parents which influenced her into (this is quick and generalized but true) thinking that 'dumb' or 'incapable' people (who were suppposed to benefit from government interference/communism) were holding down the 'wealthy of mind' and 'capable' people (her dad/family/her)?

fact is, she (like all of us) was molded into her thinking from her own personal experiences.

p.s. you know that when asked the philosophical question, if a baby is drowning in a river, should you save it, her answer is an adamant 'no' because you are risking your own life which is immoral according to her philosophy, right?

p.p.s. i don't expect to convince you to believe what i believe, but call me stupid for not thinking that basing a set of moral standards upon gettin butthurt from bad things happening to you isn't quite enough justification to have 'randian disciples' in an entourage that follows you around like you're some kind of intellectual goddess when in reality you're an ugly (even you can't deny that) human being with little to no attractiveness physically and frankly the power generated by these words gives you a sense of accomplishment which further justifies your selfishness - in other words, youi're in your own vacuum, so of course you're 'right'

also, she convinced her lame dick of a husband that getting angry with her over cheating on him with another man was immoral and that he should respect her selfish desires if he truly loved her. come...on...dawg

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:59 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Image

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
^ Have you read any Rand? If not, let me know and I'll up some. I think I have all of her non-fiction books (audio) kicking around on one of my HDs. Then we can talk.


actually i've read some rand. so i'm not talking out of my ass if that's what you were hoping to avoid before answering my question.

for me, i judge a person's philosophy off several things, here are a few main questions:

1) what events occurred to shape/spur the philosophy?
2) how did this person live her philosophy?
3) is this person's philosophy a checks&balances way of viewing a situation or an opinionated hyperbole of there being a certain "right" way to view every situation?

upload a non-fiction audio book though. i've read anthem, atlas shrugged, fountainhead, and the virtue of selfishness (only non-fiction of hers i've read)


Well, there you go - I agree with more or less everything she wrote in Virtue of Selfishness.


doesn't it bother you taht she came to many of these conclusions not from some kind of true and guarded analysis of human motive and consequence but rather because the russian revolution usurped the huge estate on which she grew up with her rich parents which influenced her into (this is quick and generalized but true) thinking that 'dumb' or 'incapable' people (who were suppposed to benefit from government interference/communism) were holding down the 'wealthy of mind' and 'capable' people (her dad/family/her)?

fact is, she (like all of us) was molded into her thinking from her own personal experiences.

p.s. you know that when asked the philosophical question, if a baby is drowning in a river, should you save it, her answer is an adamant 'no' because you are risking your own life which is immoral according to her philosophy, right?

p.p.s. i don't expect to convince you to believe what i believe, but call me stupid for not thinking that basing a set of moral standards upon gettin butthurt from bad things happening to you isn't quite enough justification to have 'randian disciples' in an entourage that follows you around like you're some kind of intellectual goddess when in reality you're an ugly (even you can't deny that) human being with little to no attractiveness physically and frankly the power generated by these words gives you a sense of accomplishment which further justifies your selfishness - in other words, youi're in your own vacuum, so of course you're 'right'

also, she convinced her lame dick of a husband that getting angry with her over cheating on him with another man was immoral and that he should respect her selfish desires if he truly loved her. come...on...dawg


Why are you offended?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
^^
I'm not, it's more that i am guilty of the same syndrome as you

the i wish everyone thought like me when it comes to this topic because i just know i'm fucking right syndrome.

but i'm not passionate about it. i just don't appreciate any way of thinking that, as its pillar and focus, derides others for perceived lack of worth

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
Reason wrote:
^^
I'm not, it's more that i am guilty of the same syndrome as you

the i wish everyone thought like me when it comes to this topic because i just know i'm fucking right syndrome.

but i'm not passionate about it. i just don't appreciate any way of thinking that, as its pillar and focus, derides others for perceived lack of worth


Are you saying that your life isn't more precious to you than that of a stranger?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 am 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
^^
I'm not, it's more that i am guilty of the same syndrome as you

the i wish everyone thought like me when it comes to this topic because i just know i'm fucking right syndrome.

but i'm not passionate about it. i just don't appreciate any way of thinking that, as its pillar and focus, derides others for perceived lack of worth


Are you saying that your life isn't more precious to you than that of a stranger?


i would jump into the river to save the child

i did specifically say 'baby' and not 'random stranger' to be fair

and there's a difference between equating the fact that one holds his life more dearly than he does another person's (for this discussion, a stranger's) and outrightly saying some people are superior to others and shouldn't have to be brought down by others

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
^^
I'm not, it's more that i am guilty of the same syndrome as you

the i wish everyone thought like me when it comes to this topic because i just know i'm fucking right syndrome.

but i'm not passionate about it. i just don't appreciate any way of thinking that, as its pillar and focus, derides others for perceived lack of worth


Are you saying that your life isn't more precious to you than that of a stranger?


i would jump into the river to save the child

i did specifically say 'baby' and not 'random stranger' to be fair

and there's a difference between equating the fact that one holds his life more dearly than he does another person's (for this discussion, a stranger's) and outrightly saying some people are superior to others and shouldn't have to be brought down by others


I think you need to reread Ch. 3.

If I see a baby face-down in a puddle, I would no doubt pick it up. However, I wouldn't jump after a falling baby at the Niagara Falls. It simply wouldn't be in my rational self-interest (survival) to do so. If that makes me an asshole with a superiority complex, so be it.

Not that it matters, but Rand didn't use a drowning baby in her example.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:28 pm 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
Seiko Flossberg wrote:
Reason wrote:
^^
I'm not, it's more that i am guilty of the same syndrome as you

the i wish everyone thought like me when it comes to this topic because i just know i'm fucking right syndrome.

but i'm not passionate about it. i just don't appreciate any way of thinking that, as its pillar and focus, derides others for perceived lack of worth


Are you saying that your life isn't more precious to you than that of a stranger?


i would jump into the river to save the child

i did specifically say 'baby' and not 'random stranger' to be fair

and there's a difference between equating the fact that one holds his life more dearly than he does another person's (for this discussion, a stranger's) and outrightly saying some people are superior to others and shouldn't have to be brought down by others


I think you need to reread Ch. 3.

If I see a baby face-down in a puddle, I would no doubt pick it up. However, I wouldn't jump after a falling baby at the Niagara Falls. It simply wouldn't be in my rational self-interest (survival) to do so. If that makes me an asshole with a superiority complex, so be it.

Not that it matters, but Rand didn't use a drowning baby in her example.


my point is her way of thinking went beyond rational self-preservation and ventured into straight prejudice against lesser educated people

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 pm
Posts: 9484
Location: Where one of the greatest MC's was a local cat
I disagree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:48 pm 
Offline
Kim Jong iLL
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25535
Location: Gangnam Style Death
I recognize your gangsta.

And disagree as well.

_________________
R.I.P. HARRY GILES' KNEE. :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.